Hickory Flat names Steele, Bailey as top two Seniors
Hickory Flat Attendance Center has announced its Class of 2009 Valedictorian and Salutatorian – Robert Lee Steele, IV and Erica Nichole Bailey, respectively.
Steele, IV, a Hickory Flat native, has been named Hickory Flat Attendance Center’s class valedictorian for the 2008-2009 school year.
He has a 4.0 Grade Point Average and plans to attend Itawamba Community College starting in the fall semester, but he is undecided about his major.
He is the son of Robert Lee Steele III and Jane Steele of Hickory Flat. He has one brother named Michael Steele and two sisters named Olivia Thompson and Lauren Simpon.
Steele’s grandparents are Margaret and the late S. E. Ormon and Nancy Grisham and the late Robert Lee Steele Jr.
At Hickory Flat, his honors include being a Student Achievement Achievement Recognition (STAR) student and being president of the Beta Club. Steele was chosen as a STAR student for the 2008-2009 school year by the Mississippi Economic Council’s M. B. Swayze Educational Foundation, sponsor of the STAR program.
Extracurricular activities range from playing basketball, running cross country, to being a member of the FCA.
Hobbies include going to town and watching movies and hanging out with his friends and playing pick-up basketball games on the weekends.
He is a member of Pinegrove Baptist Church and has been to mission camps.
His favorite memories of Hickory Flat include going on school field trips, especially going to Hot Springs, AR to an amusement park.
Steele commented on having all grades at one school and he said, “It’s kind of different having the whole campus here, but I know a lot of people because of that.”
Steele’s two sisters are both successful in the medical field and he hopes to one day follow in the footsteps of their success.
“I hope I can be as successful as my older sisters, Steele said.
2009 summer plans include shadowing Doctor Edwards in Germantown, Tenn. and possibly shadowing someone at the Bank of Holly Springs so he can gain experience and learn the skills of two different fields.
Steele’s advice to fellow students: “Be smart and enjoy life, prepare and realize that this is just the beginning.”
Hickory Flat’s graduation will take place May 22, 2009 at 7 p.m. in the school gym. 43 students are slated to graduate.
Bailey has a 4.0 Grade Point Average and plans to attend Itawamba Community College starting in the fall and majoring in pre-pharmacy.
She is the daughter of Angie and Donnie Holbrook of Ashland and Joey and Shelly Bailey of Holly Springs.
Her grandparents include Georgia and Ernie Hyde of Holly Springs, Beverly and the late Joe Bailey of Holly Springs, Josephine and Bobby Thompson of Ashland, and Ted and Sue Glass of Cartersville, Ga.
Honors received at Hickory Flat include being senior class vice president and being a member of the Beta Club.
Her extracurricular activity is playing basketball.
When she is not taking pictures of family and friends she enjoys playing basketball, going horseback riding, riding four-wheelers, and spending time with friends and family.
She is a member of Pinegrove Baptist Church and has attended missions camps.
Her favorite memory of being at Hickory Flat includes going on school field trips.
Bailey’s hope for the future is to be successful and she hopes to own her own pharmacy one day.
Over the summer, she plans to work in Tyson Pharmacy in Holly Springs.
“My advice to fellow students is to never take things for granted,” said Bailey.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...