Capaning, Ellis named New Albany High School Valedictorian, Salutatorian
New Albany High School has announced that Karl Capaning and Jennie Katherine Ellis are the Class of 2009’s Valedictorian and Salutatorian respectively.
Capaning, son of Edgar and Ninabeth Capaning, and brother to Lianne Capaning, is the Valedictorian with a 4.0 grade point average. Karl says he plans to begin a pursuit of a major in Accounting at Mississippi State University next fall and, after receiving his degree, attending law school.
Besides being named Class Valedictorian, Capaning was also named the Student-Teacher Achievement Recognition (STAR) Student for the 2008-2009 school year by the Mississippi Economic Council’s M. B. Swayze Educational Foundation. He is also a member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, the Union County Leadership Academy, Spanish Club and in the high school’s Journalism program. During his time at New Albany High School, Capaning has also played on the soccer and tennis teams.
Capaning said that his advice to fellow students is to have self-confidence.
“Be confident in yourself,” Capaning said. “Strive for individuality and always put academics first.”
Ellis is the Class of 2009’s Salutatorian with a 3.97 grade point average. She is the daughter of Nancy and John Ellis and has a sister, Brenna Trout.
Among her accomplishments, Jenna has served as the high school’s newspaper Editor, president of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Anchor Club Treasurer, as well as a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Future Business Leaders of America, FEA, National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Beta, Youth Main Street, Union County Leadership Academy and Young Republicans United. She has also been involved in ballet and dance since an early age and is a member of the Tupelo Ballet Company.
Ellis says she plans to attend either the University of Mississippi or Alabama in the fall and major in Mathematics. After getting her degree, she plans to attend medical school and pursue a career as a child psychiatrist.
“Take on as much as you can handle,” Ellis advises other students. “Don’t let other people bring you down or change you. And don’t cheat.”
Capaning and Ellis, along with their Senior classmates, will become graduates at the New Albany High School Commencement Ceremony on Friday, May 22.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...