NA golf places second, challenges results
New Albany matched their 2008 finish last week in the 4A State Championships in Amory, but this time the results could come back in favor of the Bulldogs after a challenge.
The ‘Dawgs finished second in this year’s tournament, falling to Itawamba, but the scores of one of the Indians’ golfers could reverse the results, giving New Albany the title.
“We had a dispute over Itawamba’s score,” NAHS coach Robert Garrett said Monday. “The rule is that if you write down the wrong score for a hole, you are disqualified, and if the appeal is ruled in our favor, we will win by five. If not, then Itawamba will win by two.”
Despite the dramatic results, Garrett was still proud of his team and their performance in the tournament.
“We did a good job and had the lead after the first day,” Garrett said. “We played well the entire tournament and I’m proud of our performance.”
The Bulldogs lead fell on day two, as Itawamba came back to take the win on Wednesday.
“Itawamba played better than the first day, and we didn’t play as well as we did the first day,” Garrett said. “Tucker Holmes finished third overall, which means he’s the third best golfer in the state for 4A, so I’m proud of how he finished.”
After appealing to MHSAA last Friday, Garrett said he expects to hear from officials by Wednesday regarding their petition.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...