NA golf places second, challenges results
New Albany matched their 2008 finish last week in the 4A State Championships in Amory, but this time the results could come back in favor of the Bulldogs after a challenge.
The ‘Dawgs finished second in this year’s tournament, falling to Itawamba, but the scores of one of the Indians’ golfers could reverse the results, giving New Albany the title.
“We had a dispute over Itawamba’s score,” NAHS coach Robert Garrett said Monday. “The rule is that if you write down the wrong score for a hole, you are disqualified, and if the appeal is ruled in our favor, we will win by five. If not, then Itawamba will win by two.”
Despite the dramatic results, Garrett was still proud of his team and their performance in the tournament.
“We did a good job and had the lead after the first day,” Garrett said. “We played well the entire tournament and I’m proud of our performance.”
The Bulldogs lead fell on day two, as Itawamba came back to take the win on Wednesday.
“Itawamba played better than the first day, and we didn’t play as well as we did the first day,” Garrett said. “Tucker Holmes finished third overall, which means he’s the third best golfer in the state for 4A, so I’m proud of how he finished.”
After appealing to MHSAA last Friday, Garrett said he expects to hear from officials by Wednesday regarding their petition.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...