NA golf places second, challenges results
New Albany matched their 2008 finish last week in the 4A State Championships in Amory, but this time the results could come back in favor of the Bulldogs after a challenge.
The ‘Dawgs finished second in this year’s tournament, falling to Itawamba, but the scores of one of the Indians’ golfers could reverse the results, giving New Albany the title.
“We had a dispute over Itawamba’s score,” NAHS coach Robert Garrett said Monday. “The rule is that if you write down the wrong score for a hole, you are disqualified, and if the appeal is ruled in our favor, we will win by five. If not, then Itawamba will win by two.”
Despite the dramatic results, Garrett was still proud of his team and their performance in the tournament.
“We did a good job and had the lead after the first day,” Garrett said. “We played well the entire tournament and I’m proud of our performance.”
The Bulldogs lead fell on day two, as Itawamba came back to take the win on Wednesday.
“Itawamba played better than the first day, and we didn’t play as well as we did the first day,” Garrett said. “Tucker Holmes finished third overall, which means he’s the third best golfer in the state for 4A, so I’m proud of how he finished.”
After appealing to MHSAA last Friday, Garrett said he expects to hear from officials by Wednesday regarding their petition.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...