Cheerleader facility needed
The decision by the New Albany School Board to go ahead with plans to build a practice facility for high school cheerleaders is a win-win situation for the city’s high school and for district taxpayers.
Under the plan, New Albany High School Cheerleading Coach Beth Muncie will spearhead an effort to raise $85,000 in the community to pay for the building, which then would be donated to the school district. No taxpayer money is expected to be used to construct it.
Muncie told the school board this week that a practice facility is needed if New Albany High School is to move from its current level to the state championship level of cheerleader competition.
Cheerleading has changed much over the years and has become a competitive activity that involves tumbling and athleticism, rather than just shaking a pom-pom and leading a cheer.
The building concept, which was designed by Ben Kitchens, a New Albany graduate who is an architect in Jackson, is a modest one of about 80 feet by 54 feet and includes uniform storage and changing areas, a restroom and practice area capable of handling the same number of mats – nine – as used in competition.
It also will have a spring floor, which will reduce the chance of injury by improving the safety level for practice.
The building will be located on the north edge of the high school campus, near the football stadium.
We commend community members who have pushed for this facility and we hope the drive to get $85,000 in donations will be successful.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...