Cheerleader facility needed
The decision by the New Albany School Board to go ahead with plans to build a practice facility for high school cheerleaders is a win-win situation for the city’s high school and for district taxpayers.
Under the plan, New Albany High School Cheerleading Coach Beth Muncie will spearhead an effort to raise $85,000 in the community to pay for the building, which then would be donated to the school district. No taxpayer money is expected to be used to construct it.
Muncie told the school board this week that a practice facility is needed if New Albany High School is to move from its current level to the state championship level of cheerleader competition.
Cheerleading has changed much over the years and has become a competitive activity that involves tumbling and athleticism, rather than just shaking a pom-pom and leading a cheer.
The building concept, which was designed by Ben Kitchens, a New Albany graduate who is an architect in Jackson, is a modest one of about 80 feet by 54 feet and includes uniform storage and changing areas, a restroom and practice area capable of handling the same number of mats – nine – as used in competition.
It also will have a spring floor, which will reduce the chance of injury by improving the safety level for practice.
The building will be located on the north edge of the high school campus, near the football stadium.
We commend community members who have pushed for this facility and we hope the drive to get $85,000 in donations will be successful.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...