Digital imaging improves area health care
Quality health care has taken another step forward in Union County.
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County has acquired a new digital mammography machine that produces a much better quality picture than the old x-ray technique.
The machine, which cost $180,000, provides a digital image viewable on high-resolution monitors. The old system produced film that was developed and then viewed on a lighted view box.
According to Dr. Justin Lohmeier, a radiologist, the new technology shows improved contrast resolution:
“The pictures are so much more clear than film and give us as doctors a lot more to look for in the breasts to determine problems a lot earlier than in the past,” he said. “This is especially good for women with dense breasts or women with fibrous tissue that would normally have to go back to the doctor for multiple visits to get a clearer picture.”
Other advantages of the new system include reduced wait time for patients because the images are available immediately and the capacity to electronically transmit to other physicians as well as store them.
James Huffman, administrator and chief executive officer of the hospital, said the new equipment enables the hospital “to provide the top level of care to our for our breast imaging patients. We are proud to be able to provide the Union County area women with advanced screening technology to identify cancers early on when they are most treatable.”
Doctors vary in their recommendations about when women should start getting annual mammograms. Women should check with their personal doctor for his or her recommendation, but it is usually at age 40 or earlier.
Early detection is extremely important with breast cancer and Baptist Memorial’s new digital mammography equipment is a welcome addition to the local health scene.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series