Camp shaping future stars
Basketball season is still months away, but the courts throughout the county are filled for camps and summer leagues. The scene at Memorial Gym was no different Monday morning, as children gathered for the annual NAHS Bulldogs camp.
Bulldogs’ head coach Brad Gray and Coach Reed from the middle school have spend the last two weeks working with the youth in Union County during the Bulldogs annual summer basketball. Designed to teach the fundamentals and sharpen skills, the camp is broken into two weeks, both of which have been successful.
“We had really good numbers last week, but this week we’ve been short a little bit,” Gray said of the numbers breakdown. “The kids we have this week are working really hard and are really attentive and they pay attention. I think they’re grasping the basic concepts of basketball, so it’s going good.”
The first week featured younger kids aged 7-10. Gray and Reed focused on fundamentals with the younger kids while working more on shooting and defense this week with the kids aged 11-14.
“Last week we were teaching them how to dribble, pass and shoot, but this week we’re getting more in depth offensively,” Gray explained. “We’re also going to try to do some more stuff defensively this week, as far as we’re going to teach them the basics of man-to-man defense and how to position themselves defensively, so we’ll get a little more in depth this week with the older kids.”
One of the unique aspects of the camp is that the breakdown is from various parts of the county, as kids from all areas are in attendance.
“One of our oldest kids this week is from Myrtle,” Gray said. “We have several younger kids here this week, and Coach Reed has worked with me and been a huge help the past few years.”
Helping instill the basics into the youth, this camp is designed to shape the future stars of not only New Albany, but throughout the county.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...