NA native Richey wins derby title
The first annual BNA Bank Cotton States League Sonic Drive-In Homerun Derby came down to two GT Jet teammates, one of which a native to Union County.
New Albany’s Gardner Richey and Kyle Thornton of Ole Miss squared off in the derby finals after posting four and three long balls each. Ethan Bright was the only other contestant to homer in the derby, as he was third with two homeruns.
In the finals, Richey and Thornton each belted three homeruns to end in a tie, taking the competition into a deciding third round, where Richey’s single shot gave him the title.
Honestly, it was just like another day in batting practice,” Richey said of the competition. “We do this everyday, so it’s something I’m comfortable with.”
Richey is known for being a batting practice king, but an interesting note is that he takes the title without having any homeruns in regular season action.
“I would like to get a few more in games,” Richey laughed. “I was red shirted this past year, so I haven’t seen a lot of live pitching, but that’s no excuse. I hope to perform at the level I should be this summer.”
Ten contestants participated in this year’s derby, including Union Countian M.J. McWhorter of Blue Springs.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...