Healthy event fairs
Two important health-related events are coming up in New Albany and we want to give a nod to both of them.
One is for adults and is called Mississippi in Motion. It is designed to improve health through increased physical activity and improved nutrition. It is sponsored by the Blue Cross & Blue Shield Mississippi Foundation, Mississippi State University Extension Service, John D. Bower, MD School Health Network 2, New Albany Schools, the state Department of Education, and Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County.
The program is 12 weeks long with sessions on nutrition, physical activity and strength training along with information on chronic disease. It will kick off with a health fair for adults Sept. 2 at the Baptist Healthplex.
The second program, and the one we want to focus more on here, is geared toward children from 4 to 12 years old, and is conducted by the hospital with the support of lots of other groups. It’s the Back-to-School Health Fair.
A thousand people, including about 400 children, will show up from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 15 at the hospital for a free health check and a variety of activities from fingerprinting to tobacco education. Along the way they’ll get free hot dogs and snacks and a free school backpack for participating in a short lesson about carrying backpacks safely.
Children in the age group will get a flyer at school and full details will be in the Gazette.
The free program, which has been ongoing for 20 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a not-for-profit rather than a proprietary hospital in the community.
We applaud Baptist Memorial Hospital’s commitment to improving the health and safety of our children.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series