Healthy event fairs
Two important health-related events are coming up in New Albany and we want to give a nod to both of them.
One is for adults and is called Mississippi in Motion. It is designed to improve health through increased physical activity and improved nutrition. It is sponsored by the Blue Cross & Blue Shield Mississippi Foundation, Mississippi State University Extension Service, John D. Bower, MD School Health Network 2, New Albany Schools, the state Department of Education, and Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County.
The program is 12 weeks long with sessions on nutrition, physical activity and strength training along with information on chronic disease. It will kick off with a health fair for adults Sept. 2 at the Baptist Healthplex.
The second program, and the one we want to focus more on here, is geared toward children from 4 to 12 years old, and is conducted by the hospital with the support of lots of other groups. It’s the Back-to-School Health Fair.
A thousand people, including about 400 children, will show up from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 15 at the hospital for a free health check and a variety of activities from fingerprinting to tobacco education. Along the way they’ll get free hot dogs and snacks and a free school backpack for participating in a short lesson about carrying backpacks safely.
Children in the age group will get a flyer at school and full details will be in the Gazette.
The free program, which has been ongoing for 20 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a not-for-profit rather than a proprietary hospital in the community.
We applaud Baptist Memorial Hospital’s commitment to improving the health and safety of our children.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...