3rd place no honor
The death of an 8-year-old boy in Ecru from an accidental shooting again has underscored the importance of handling and storing guns safely.
While straightening up a bed, the boy found a loaded pistol under a mattress at his grandfather’s house. The gun went off, the bullet hit the boy in the head and a needless death was the result.
This is not a criticism of the family; the family certainly has suffered enough. But it is a reminder to all of us that we have a lot of guns in Mississippi and that creates a potential for accidental gun deaths that is higher than in some other states.
A recent story in the Gazette showed that Mississippi is tied with Alaska for third in the nation for the number of gun deaths per 100,000 population. Only our neighboring states, Louisiana and Alabama, have higher numbers.
These aren’t some trumped up numbers from an anti-gun group. They’re from a study by the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.
Here in Union County, Sheriff Tommy Wilhite says a majority of the gun deaths in the county are suicides. Those certainly are hard to prevent, at least if they are suicides by the owners of the guns.
It’s the others that concern us. The sheriff’s department and the city police only can do so much to promote gun safety, including providing gun locks and safety information.
Both Wilhite and New Albany Chief David Grisham stress locking up guns, storing them properly (unloaded), and keeping them out of the reach of children.
This country is not the Wild West anymore. We need to take gun safety, especially proper handling and storage, with the same amount of fervor as we take gun ownership.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...