The decision by Union and Pontotoc counties to pool resources and hire one economic development director strikes us as a good one.
The Union County Development Association, the Pontotoc County Chamber of Commerce and the Union and Pontotoc county boards of supervisors have decided to recruit one person to represent both counties.
The economic development job includes recruiting business and industry and working to expand current ones.
The idea to unite the two county efforts was suggested by Randy Kelley, executive director of Three Rivers Planning and Development District because both counties have no one filling the positions at the moment, according to Dave Kitchens, board president of the Union County Development Association.
“We think it is a win-win situation,” Kitchens said. “By pooling our resources we hope to get a high caliber person and keep him a little longer.”
Former association executive director, Stephen Surles, stayed only 14 months before taking a job with the Tennessee Valley Authority. The association recently hired Phil Nanney as its executive director.
“This will give Phil more time to concentrate on other association activities and membership development,” Kitchens said.
The development association is financed by money from the New Albany and Union County governments and dues paid by association members.
Kitchens said interviews are scheduled next week for candidates for the development job.
We think if the two counties get the right person, the move can pay off well. We also think pooling our efforts with Pontotoc County puts us on a more equal footing with Lee County and Tupelo in recruitment efforts.
That in itself is a good reason to do it.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...