Music and football
It was an idyllic Friday night in New Albany. The skies were clear, the stars bright and the temperature comfortable.
The parking lot was full, the concession stand was humming with activity, the stands were packed and several hundred fans were standing along the fence.
The scene was perfect.
When The Pride of New Albany Band struck up the school fight song and the team ran onto the field from the new inflatable tunnel, it was a thrilling sight.
Minutes later the Bulldogs kicked off and the opening regular season game against the Boonville Blue Devils and their legendary coach Jim Drewry was under way.
It was a thrill a minute from the lightening fast touchdowns in the opening quarter to the suspense-filled closing seconds when New Albany was driving to try to tie the score, but ran out of time. What a game!
The students on the field, the coaches and band instructors had done their job. They had worked hard to present a great evening of football and music.
But what about the rest of us? Did we do ours?
We were disappointed to find the stands beginning to empty early in the second half. By the time the game was decided, a few seconds before the closing horn, the bleachers were half empty.
High school kids in the band and on the field playing their hearts out deserve our cheers from the beginning to the end.
We can do better than this.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...