Music and football
It was an idyllic Friday night in New Albany. The skies were clear, the stars bright and the temperature comfortable.
The parking lot was full, the concession stand was humming with activity, the stands were packed and several hundred fans were standing along the fence.
The scene was perfect.
When The Pride of New Albany Band struck up the school fight song and the team ran onto the field from the new inflatable tunnel, it was a thrilling sight.
Minutes later the Bulldogs kicked off and the opening regular season game against the Boonville Blue Devils and their legendary coach Jim Drewry was under way.
It was a thrill a minute from the lightening fast touchdowns in the opening quarter to the suspense-filled closing seconds when New Albany was driving to try to tie the score, but ran out of time. What a game!
The students on the field, the coaches and band instructors had done their job. They had worked hard to present a great evening of football and music.
But what about the rest of us? Did we do ours?
We were disappointed to find the stands beginning to empty early in the second half. By the time the game was decided, a few seconds before the closing horn, the bleachers were half empty.
High school kids in the band and on the field playing their hearts out deserve our cheers from the beginning to the end.
We can do better than this.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...