Community events to remember Sept. 11
Two community organizations will host programs next week to remember those who died as a result of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
The American Legion Potter–Henry-Lowery Post 72 will hold a Patriot Day 9/11 Commemoration on next Friday, Sept. 11 at noon on the lawn of the Union County Courthouse and the New Albany Ministers’ Alliance will host a program next Thursday, Sept. 10 at the New Albany High School Auditorium on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
During Friday’s ceremony, members of American Legion Post 72 will place twelve wreaths around the American Legion Memorial.
The first wreath will commemorate the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen from Union County who gave their lives in service to the United States. The other wreaths will be placed in memory of those individuals who died in the following wars: American Revolution, War of 1812, Mexican War of 1848, American Civil War, Spanish –American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War and The War on Terrorism.
The program will include posting the colors and Vice Commander Damon Cooke will open the ceremony.
Phil Nanney will sing the National Anthem. Other city and county officials will participate in various ways, with Mike Staten serving as the keynote speaker.
If there are any questions about this event, contact Jill Smith at 538-0014 or Richard Tate at 507-0768.
During the Thursday service at New Albany High School, retired captain in the New York City Police Department Kevin Walsh will speak to the audience, recollecting his experiences on Sept. 11, 2001.
Walsh served in the 34th, 81st, and 83rd precincts, the Narcotics Division, the Internal Affairs Bureau and the Office of Management Analysis and Planning.
During the program, Paid in Full, the Hillcrest Baptist Choir and the Myrtle Attendance Center 4th grade class will all perform.
An offering will be taken to go toward the Detective C. Lydia Martinez Memorial Scholarship.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...