Community events to remember Sept. 11
Two community organizations will host programs next week to remember those who died as a result of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
The American Legion Potter–Henry-Lowery Post 72 will hold a Patriot Day 9/11 Commemoration on next Friday, Sept. 11 at noon on the lawn of the Union County Courthouse and the New Albany Ministers’ Alliance will host a program next Thursday, Sept. 10 at the New Albany High School Auditorium on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
During Friday’s ceremony, members of American Legion Post 72 will place twelve wreaths around the American Legion Memorial.
The first wreath will commemorate the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen from Union County who gave their lives in service to the United States. The other wreaths will be placed in memory of those individuals who died in the following wars: American Revolution, War of 1812, Mexican War of 1848, American Civil War, Spanish –American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War and The War on Terrorism.
The program will include posting the colors and Vice Commander Damon Cooke will open the ceremony.
Phil Nanney will sing the National Anthem. Other city and county officials will participate in various ways, with Mike Staten serving as the keynote speaker.
If there are any questions about this event, contact Jill Smith at 538-0014 or Richard Tate at 507-0768.
During the Thursday service at New Albany High School, retired captain in the New York City Police Department Kevin Walsh will speak to the audience, recollecting his experiences on Sept. 11, 2001.
Walsh served in the 34th, 81st, and 83rd precincts, the Narcotics Division, the Internal Affairs Bureau and the Office of Management Analysis and Planning.
During the program, Paid in Full, the Hillcrest Baptist Choir and the Myrtle Attendance Center 4th grade class will all perform.
An offering will be taken to go toward the Detective C. Lydia Martinez Memorial Scholarship.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert