Community events to remember Sept. 11
Two community organizations will host programs next week to remember those who died as a result of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
The American Legion Potter–Henry-Lowery Post 72 will hold a Patriot Day 9/11 Commemoration on next Friday, Sept. 11 at noon on the lawn of the Union County Courthouse and the New Albany Ministers’ Alliance will host a program next Thursday, Sept. 10 at the New Albany High School Auditorium on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
During Friday’s ceremony, members of American Legion Post 72 will place twelve wreaths around the American Legion Memorial.
The first wreath will commemorate the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen from Union County who gave their lives in service to the United States. The other wreaths will be placed in memory of those individuals who died in the following wars: American Revolution, War of 1812, Mexican War of 1848, American Civil War, Spanish –American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War and The War on Terrorism.
The program will include posting the colors and Vice Commander Damon Cooke will open the ceremony.
Phil Nanney will sing the National Anthem. Other city and county officials will participate in various ways, with Mike Staten serving as the keynote speaker.
If there are any questions about this event, contact Jill Smith at 538-0014 or Richard Tate at 507-0768.
During the Thursday service at New Albany High School, retired captain in the New York City Police Department Kevin Walsh will speak to the audience, recollecting his experiences on Sept. 11, 2001.
Walsh served in the 34th, 81st, and 83rd precincts, the Narcotics Division, the Internal Affairs Bureau and the Office of Management Analysis and Planning.
During the program, Paid in Full, the Hillcrest Baptist Choir and the Myrtle Attendance Center 4th grade class will all perform.
An offering will be taken to go toward the Detective C. Lydia Martinez Memorial Scholarship.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...