Economic good news
Two recent pieces of economic news about Union County are encouraging.
First, Union County’s employment trend from the state Center for Policy Research and Planning is one of the best in the state.
For the first six months of 2009, job growth in the county went up 3.9 percent over the same six months last year. Only eight counties in the state did better, including our neighbor to the east, Lee, which had growth of 4.1 percent.
Union County’s numbers are particularly encouraging because more than half the counties in the state actually lost jobs during the same period.
The numbers for our other neighboring counties were a mixed bag. Benton County was up 2.5 percent, Prentiss 1 percent and Marshall .9 percent. Pontotoc County lost 6.4 percent, Tippah lost 3.6 percent and Lafayette was down .2 percent.
Some of the growth in our county can be attributed to the opening of Lowe’s home improvement store and Walgreens pharmacy.
Second, the news on the unemployment front, while not very good, is better than in many parts of the state. Union County’s rate was 10.4 percent in July, which puts it in the lowest third of the state’s counties. Lee County’s rate was 11.4 percent and Pontotoc’s 10.6 percent.
Keeping our employment trend headed the right direction will not be easy because we have no businesses of a magnitude of a Lowe’s on the horizon. But for now, we’ll enjoy the good news and work hard to keep current jobs and get new ones.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series