Economic good news
Two recent pieces of economic news about Union County are encouraging.
First, Union County’s employment trend from the state Center for Policy Research and Planning is one of the best in the state.
For the first six months of 2009, job growth in the county went up 3.9 percent over the same six months last year. Only eight counties in the state did better, including our neighbor to the east, Lee, which had growth of 4.1 percent.
Union County’s numbers are particularly encouraging because more than half the counties in the state actually lost jobs during the same period.
The numbers for our other neighboring counties were a mixed bag. Benton County was up 2.5 percent, Prentiss 1 percent and Marshall .9 percent. Pontotoc County lost 6.4 percent, Tippah lost 3.6 percent and Lafayette was down .2 percent.
Some of the growth in our county can be attributed to the opening of Lowe’s home improvement store and Walgreens pharmacy.
Second, the news on the unemployment front, while not very good, is better than in many parts of the state. Union County’s rate was 10.4 percent in July, which puts it in the lowest third of the state’s counties. Lee County’s rate was 11.4 percent and Pontotoc’s 10.6 percent.
Keeping our employment trend headed the right direction will not be easy because we have no businesses of a magnitude of a Lowe’s on the horizon. But for now, we’ll enjoy the good news and work hard to keep current jobs and get new ones.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...