Economic good news
Two recent pieces of economic news about Union County are encouraging.
First, Union County’s employment trend from the state Center for Policy Research and Planning is one of the best in the state.
For the first six months of 2009, job growth in the county went up 3.9 percent over the same six months last year. Only eight counties in the state did better, including our neighbor to the east, Lee, which had growth of 4.1 percent.
Union County’s numbers are particularly encouraging because more than half the counties in the state actually lost jobs during the same period.
The numbers for our other neighboring counties were a mixed bag. Benton County was up 2.5 percent, Prentiss 1 percent and Marshall .9 percent. Pontotoc County lost 6.4 percent, Tippah lost 3.6 percent and Lafayette was down .2 percent.
Some of the growth in our county can be attributed to the opening of Lowe’s home improvement store and Walgreens pharmacy.
Second, the news on the unemployment front, while not very good, is better than in many parts of the state. Union County’s rate was 10.4 percent in July, which puts it in the lowest third of the state’s counties. Lee County’s rate was 11.4 percent and Pontotoc’s 10.6 percent.
Keeping our employment trend headed the right direction will not be easy because we have no businesses of a magnitude of a Lowe’s on the horizon. But for now, we’ll enjoy the good news and work hard to keep current jobs and get new ones.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...