Deplorable puppy mill
More than 80 dogs and a dozen other animals were rescued from a Union County puppy mill this week by the Union County Sheriff’s Department and the Human Society of the United States.
The animals, many with health problems and living in unsanitary conditions, were carted off to the Oxford-Lafayette Humane Society, where they will be evaluated and eventually put up for adoption.
If you are interested in one of the animals, call 662-236-7631.
Rescuers found dachshunds, Boston terriers, Chihuahuas and beagles housed in chick-coop style cages infested with maggots and cockroaches and with no available food and water at the puppy mill near Myrtle.
It’s a deplorable situation repeated time after time across the country—people out to make a quick buck by breeding dogs and other animals that add to the burgeoning population of unwanted animals.
The fact is thousands of unwanted animals are put to death each year right here in north Mississippi because of the excessive breeding, especially of dogs and cats.
Animal shelters are filled with them and the humane society reports that nationwide about 25 percent of the dogs in shelters are purebreds. Dogs and cats are available for adoption in all breeds and sizes.
Responsible pet owners should have their pets spayed or neutered, or at least keep them confined so they do not reproduce.
We urge people in Union County to be on the lookout for these puppy-mill operations and to report anyone suspected of being involved in a puppy-mill, or dog fighting or cockfighting to the Union County Sheriff’s Department, the New Albany Police Department or the Humane Society of the United States.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series