New city budget
The budget for the city of New Albany for the next fiscal year was adopted Monday night, and generally we think the Board of Aldermen did a decent job with the numbers in what will be a tough revenue year.
The city’s general operating budget is $5.2 million, down about $29,000 from what the city expects to spend this year.
By whittling away a little bit in a variety of expense categories, the board was still able to include a needed 1.5 percent pay raise for rank-and-file city employees.
Excluded from raises were the mayor, the board of aldermen, city judges and prosecutor, the city clerk and the city attorney.
And the board began the much-needed process of reining in the cost of its legal services. The city budgeted $37,582 for the city attorney’s salary and another $50,000 for legal fees, down $35,000 from what was budgeted this year.
We would like to see a strong effort next year to reduce the total cost of salary and fees for the city attorney to no more than the salary of the mayor, about $66,000.
We do not quarrel with the work or competence of the current city attorney, but we think the cost is out of sync with other communities and with the city’s needs.
Going forward, we also think it would be helpful if the proposed budget were available to citizens earlier in the process.
That would permit both the public and various government departments and agencies to have a clearer understanding of what is, or is not, included.
All in all though, we think the Board of Alderman, handicapped by having two of its members absent because of travel and illness, adopted a tight budget Monday night that will meet the city’s needs in a lean year.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...