My closet is crowded! It’s not a new revelation for me. I was simply given another reminder when I switched summer for fall wardrobe. There’s always that “favorite” top or sweater, that “timeless” blouse and those jeans that always say “comfort” when I step into them. Every item clamors for another season, and my packrat syndrome quickly accommodates.
Having a crowded closet seems to be synonymous with living in America – the land of plenty and prosperity. But it also hints at something being broken: my “wanter!” Wanting more than I need only crowds my closet and dulls my compassion for the less fortunate.
Mother’s closet space in her rehab facility has jolted my selfish mentality. She has one closet rod approximately forty-six inches long to hold all hanging items and two dresser drawers to hold all folded items. To my surprise, I’ve found it to be adequate. Now that’s a word somewhat foreign to my vocabulary!
Crowded clothes closets definitely say a lot about our society, but crowded prayer closets say much more. These closets can be filled with all sorts of distractions that clutter our lives and keep us from the critical needs of cultivating the “inner life.”
Sometimes I step into my prayer closet and find it full and cluttered with busy schedules, worries and frets, anxiety and bitterness, doubts and fears. Those deadly items are always out of style for a Christian and bring havoc to a prayer closet.
The psalmist gave us the first step in building a prayer closet. “Be still and know that I am God.” Sounds easy enough, but in lifestyles of rush, hurry and run, being still can be a monumental lesson to learn.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series