NAHS opens soccer season against Saltillo
The Fernandez’s helped lift the Bulldogs to a season opening win over Saltillo Monday night, as Gabriel and Edgar Fernandez scored all three of New Albany’s goals in the 3-0 victory.
Despite the Bulldogs having 10 shots on goal in the first half, they were only able to convert one score, as Gabriel took an assist from Anthony Fernandez to give New Albany the 1-0 advantage at the half.
Edgar connected with Brian Gonzalez early in the second for the ‘Dawgs second score, and Anthony picked up his second assist in the game, as Edgar put the game away, 3-0 at the 3:50 mark.
The Bulldogs had 24 shots in the game, 15 shots on goal, while keeper Bobby Coltharp had three saves and the New Albany defense only allowed four shots for the Tigers.
Saltillo 10, NAHS 3
Catherine Plunk had three goals for the Lady Tigers, as New Albany fell 10-3 Monday night.
Saltillo scored the first four goals of the game, two by Plunk, along with one from Tina Petigo and Ashley Dodson. Estephanie Fernandez would get the Lady ‘Dawgs on the board at the 5:40 mark off an assist by Kellie Skinner to make it 4-1 at the half.
Plunk scored Saltillo’s next two goals in the second half, while Randi Stevens scored off an assist by Fernandez and Fernandez scored at the 12:52 mark off a penalty kick. Dodson, along with Stormy Payne and Randi Clark also had goals for Saltillo, as Clark scored her second at the 6:30 mark, making it 10-3.
Shannon Goode had 21 saves for New Albany, but the Lady Tigers held NA to only three shots on goal in the game, while Saltillo had 16.
New Albany will compete in the Tupelo Tournament this Friday and Saturday against Caledonia, Horn Lake and Tupelo.
The Lady ‘Dawgs will play the Lady Confederates at 4:30 p.m. Friday, with the boys playing at 7:30.
Saturday, the Bulldogs will play Tupelo at 8:30 a.m. and Horn Lake at 4:00 p.m., while the Lady Bulldogs will play Horn Lake at 8:30 a.m. and Tupelo at 1:00 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...