New Haven special need
Providing help to adults with special needs is the business of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults.
But the school now has its own special need and is looking to the community to provide the money for it. The school needs a 28-passenger handicapped-accessible bus because its client base is now 22 people ages 20 to 55.
A 15-passenger van no longer accommodates transporting clients to and from the center or for community outings.
A campaign is getting under way to raise money for the new bus and the maiden event is “A Night Out for New Haven at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Magnolia Civic Center. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. More information can be obtained by calling 662-534-4289.
The event will feature the Moonstone Band with guest guitarist Dr. Robert Khayat, chancellor emeritus of the University of Mississippi.
The school is funded primarily by tax dollars from Union County, New Albany and the United Way as well as donations from individuals, churches, civic clubs and businesses. Clients’ families pay only $20 a month. Transportation is provided, if needed, and clients participate in a variety of activities, both at the center and in the community.
The New Haven Center is in its 48th year of helping people with special needs. It’s your turn to help by buying a ticket, writing a donation check or, even better, both.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...