New Haven special need
Providing help to adults with special needs is the business of the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults.
But the school now has its own special need and is looking to the community to provide the money for it. The school needs a 28-passenger handicapped-accessible bus because its client base is now 22 people ages 20 to 55.
A 15-passenger van no longer accommodates transporting clients to and from the center or for community outings.
A campaign is getting under way to raise money for the new bus and the maiden event is “A Night Out for New Haven at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Magnolia Civic Center. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. More information can be obtained by calling 662-534-4289.
The event will feature the Moonstone Band with guest guitarist Dr. Robert Khayat, chancellor emeritus of the University of Mississippi.
The school is funded primarily by tax dollars from Union County, New Albany and the United Way as well as donations from individuals, churches, civic clubs and businesses. Clients’ families pay only $20 a month. Transportation is provided, if needed, and clients participate in a variety of activities, both at the center and in the community.
The New Haven Center is in its 48th year of helping people with special needs. It’s your turn to help by buying a ticket, writing a donation check or, even better, both.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...