NAHS names 16 to All-Division team
New Albany saw much success in the 2009 football season, and a reflection of that shows as 16 ‘Dawgs were named All-Division by the coaches Monday morning.
Junior running back Kareem Brown and senior kicker Sonny Harrison represent NA on the first team, as Brown finished with 930 yards on the ground along with 634 in the air. Harrison, also named second team All-State, connected on 33 of 39 point after attempts in 2009 along with two field goals.
“I’m very proud of both of them,” head coach Ron Price said. “Sonny was a great surprise, as this was his first year on our team and he exceeded our expectations and did a fabulous job throughout the season. Kareem is just a great kid who leads by example and is a great leader. What’s great about him is that we’ll have him back next year and we’re excited about what he brings back to our team.”
Nine Bulldogs made the second team list, led by junior quarterback Tyler Basil. Basil threw for 1,894 yards this season, and had several of his key targets on the list with him, including Taylor Goode, the Bulldogs leading receiver with 640 yards. Luke Foley made the list at tight end, while Eric Johnson was named on the list for running back.
Offensive linemen Collin Stubblefield and Devin Mills rounded out the offensive selections.
Sophomore Josh Creekmore made the list at defensive back along with senior Mario Gilbert. The duo combined for four interceptions and each had two fumble recoveries. Creekmore also added 58 tackles, while Gilbert had 32.
Leading the defense with 86 tackles, Zach Hand was named as second team linebacker, and Shawn Smith rounded out the second team with 61 tackles being named as a all-division defensive lineman.
Adrian Gamble, Bobby Coltharp, Jullian Mitchell and Cade Simmons were honorable mention selections.
New Albany finished the 2009 season with a 6-6 record.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...