Discount drug cards
Union County residents without adequate medical insurance may benefit from a program to be offered through the county government.
The county has contracted to provide a prescription discount card for residents who either do not have medical insurance or are underinsured.
County Administrator Terry Johnson said anyone may get a card, but the main focus of the program is toward those without adequate insurance.
The contract with the National Association of Counties will provide an approximate 22 percent savings on prescription drugs for those without insurance. It also may help people whose drug is not covered by their insurance plan.
The cards are expected to be available in about 10 weeks. Participating pharmacies include Walmart, Walgreens, Super Saver Drugs, Rite Aid Pharmacies, Fred’s Discount Pharmacy and the Hospital Pharmacy.
“A cardholder will simply present it at a participating pharmacy,” Johnson said. “There is no enrollment form, no membership fee and no restrictions or limits on frequency of use. Cardholders and their family members may use the card any time their prescriptions are not covered by insurance.”
The county will announce when and where the cards will be available.
We think it is worthwhile for the county to participate in this program which may provide some relief on prescription drug costs for those Union County residents without medical insurance.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...