Discount drug cards
Union County residents without adequate medical insurance may benefit from a program to be offered through the county government.
The county has contracted to provide a prescription discount card for residents who either do not have medical insurance or are underinsured.
County Administrator Terry Johnson said anyone may get a card, but the main focus of the program is toward those without adequate insurance.
The contract with the National Association of Counties will provide an approximate 22 percent savings on prescription drugs for those without insurance. It also may help people whose drug is not covered by their insurance plan.
The cards are expected to be available in about 10 weeks. Participating pharmacies include Walmart, Walgreens, Super Saver Drugs, Rite Aid Pharmacies, Fred’s Discount Pharmacy and the Hospital Pharmacy.
“A cardholder will simply present it at a participating pharmacy,” Johnson said. “There is no enrollment form, no membership fee and no restrictions or limits on frequency of use. Cardholders and their family members may use the card any time their prescriptions are not covered by insurance.”
The county will announce when and where the cards will be available.
We think it is worthwhile for the county to participate in this program which may provide some relief on prescription drug costs for those Union County residents without medical insurance.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...