Discount drug cards
Union County residents without adequate medical insurance may benefit from a program to be offered through the county government.
The county has contracted to provide a prescription discount card for residents who either do not have medical insurance or are underinsured.
County Administrator Terry Johnson said anyone may get a card, but the main focus of the program is toward those without adequate insurance.
The contract with the National Association of Counties will provide an approximate 22 percent savings on prescription drugs for those without insurance. It also may help people whose drug is not covered by their insurance plan.
The cards are expected to be available in about 10 weeks. Participating pharmacies include Walmart, Walgreens, Super Saver Drugs, Rite Aid Pharmacies, Fred’s Discount Pharmacy and the Hospital Pharmacy.
“A cardholder will simply present it at a participating pharmacy,” Johnson said. “There is no enrollment form, no membership fee and no restrictions or limits on frequency of use. Cardholders and their family members may use the card any time their prescriptions are not covered by insurance.”
The county will announce when and where the cards will be available.
We think it is worthwhile for the county to participate in this program which may provide some relief on prescription drug costs for those Union County residents without medical insurance.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...