‘Dawgs pound Vikings
The Bulldogs approached their rematch with North Pontotoc with a new defense, and New Albany responded, defeating the Vikings, 79-44.
The last time these two teams met, the ‘Dawgs squeaked out a 57-54 win at North. With a different scheme on defense, head coach Brad Gray saw his team commit four straight turnovers leading to an early 15-5 lead in the first quarter.
“Last time we played them, defensively I didn’t we played them very well, but offensively I think we executed very well,” Gray said. “Tonight, our kids came out and really turned it up defensively, and they played with a lot more effort and intensity, and they were aggressive on offense attacking the basket more and not sitting back on their heels.”
Both teams traded baskets in the opening minutes, but after a triple by Kareem Brown, the ‘Dawgs took the lead for good, as New Albany went on a 11-0 run.
Leading 25-14 heading into the second, Devonte Berry scored the Bulldogs’ first six points and a three pointer by Malcolm Spears made it 40-18.
Taking a 20 point lead to the half, Tadarious Coburn had the hot hand in the third frame, scoring 10 of his 16 points in the third quarter. One area that hurt the Bulldogs were the amount of fouls, as the Vikings made no baskets in the fourth quarter, only scoring from the charity stripe, going 9-for-14. North Pontotoc also only made three field goals in the entire second half, showing that Gray’s change on defense worked.
“We figured we’re putting teams in the double bonus in the first half, sitting back and playing passive, why not be more aggressive and create more turnovers? We’re probably going to foul the same amount, so we changed the way we played defense and the kids really responded.”
NAHS (11-6, 4-2) will take on Myrtle in the Union County Tournament at 7:00 p.m. Friday night.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...