Union County has received a state grant that will allow the county to proceed with needed improvements in the Chancery Court building.
The state has awarded a State Municipal and Limited Population County Grant for $100,000 that will be matched with about $16,900 in county money from the general fund.
Union County Board of Supervisors President Danny Jordan said, “The renovation has been needed to be done for a while. We will be able to extend the courtroom and add more security, too. We are fortunate to get this grant money.”
The Chancery Court handles all sorts of domestic relations issues, including divorces, child custody and child support. The court also handles disputes and suits involving property lines and easements.
The court is divided into districts around the state. Eight counties are in our district here, with four elected judges by geographical area in the district. Court usually meets more than 100 days a year in the courtroom in Union County.
Some of the impetus to upgrade the court facilities has come from Chancery Court Clerk Annette Hickey and the judges and lawyers who use the court.
A tour of the courtroom shows clearly the kinds of improvements needed. The courtroom is too small to handle some of the crowds that flow through it. Parties to a dispute and their lawyers sit at tables that touch making private conversations between attorneys and clients difficult.
And there is virtually no security other than a bailiff, an important issue in some contested divorce and child custody cases. Plans for the improvements include construction of a secure hallway around the court area and additional witness waiting areas.
We support Ms. Hickey, the judges and lawyers in their efforts to enlarge and make more secure the Chancery Court courtroom and adjacent areas. It will be money well spent.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series