New road, finally
The Mississippi Department of Transportation’s decision to move ahead with reconstruction of state Highway 15 in New Albany is welcome news.
The state intends to contract in March for making Highway 15 a modern five-lane highway from U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) north to North Haven and a four-lane divided highway north to the county line.
To suggest that the project should have been done years ago is obvious. The heavily-traveled route not only goes through a commercial area but also goes in front of New Albany High School.
The highway, a favorite of truckers, is very dangerous and the scene of many accidents.
But beyond that, the highway has been allowed to deteriorate for years without being resurfaced because of the reconstruction plan. Motorists fall into potholes capable of busting a tire or worse.
Getting through the two-year construction period will be trying for everyone, but the new highway, when it is completed, will more than make up for the inconvenience.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...