New road, finally
The Mississippi Department of Transportation’s decision to move ahead with reconstruction of state Highway 15 in New Albany is welcome news.
The state intends to contract in March for making Highway 15 a modern five-lane highway from U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) north to North Haven and a four-lane divided highway north to the county line.
To suggest that the project should have been done years ago is obvious. The heavily-traveled route not only goes through a commercial area but also goes in front of New Albany High School.
The highway, a favorite of truckers, is very dangerous and the scene of many accidents.
But beyond that, the highway has been allowed to deteriorate for years without being resurfaced because of the reconstruction plan. Motorists fall into potholes capable of busting a tire or worse.
Getting through the two-year construction period will be trying for everyone, but the new highway, when it is completed, will more than make up for the inconvenience.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...