New road, finally
The Mississippi Department of Transportation’s decision to move ahead with reconstruction of state Highway 15 in New Albany is welcome news.
The state intends to contract in March for making Highway 15 a modern five-lane highway from U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) north to North Haven and a four-lane divided highway north to the county line.
To suggest that the project should have been done years ago is obvious. The heavily-traveled route not only goes through a commercial area but also goes in front of New Albany High School.
The highway, a favorite of truckers, is very dangerous and the scene of many accidents.
But beyond that, the highway has been allowed to deteriorate for years without being resurfaced because of the reconstruction plan. Motorists fall into potholes capable of busting a tire or worse.
Getting through the two-year construction period will be trying for everyone, but the new highway, when it is completed, will more than make up for the inconvenience.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...