Myrtle unable to contain NAHS
New Albany had the hot bats against their county rival last Saturday, posting a 13-2 win over Myrtle in the Hawks’ tournament.
“We’re off to a really slow start,” Myrtle head coach Robert Gordon said. “Our pitching has not been very productive and our offense isn’t producing either. We’ve played big schools so far, but we haven’t had a strong pitching performance.”
Jimel Judon was on the mound for the Hawks and allowed seven runs off six hits in a little over three innings of work.
New Albany scored twice in the first before posting their first out, as Judon walked two batters to load the bases for Cody McCullough, whose single brought in Taylor Goode. A sacrifice flyout by Andrew Tunnell made it 3-0 for New Albany.
Corey Smith led off the third inning for the Bulldogs with a double, and two more hits from Riley Alef and McCullough made it 4-0. Mason Maxey brought in the last run of the inning off his single.
The Hawks would score two runs in the fourth after a single by Austin Floyd.
Smith sparked the Bulldogs in the bottom half of the fourth with his two-run home run, and the Hawks pitching staff would walk the next five runners, bringing in two more runs. A triple by Goode cleared the bases, bringing in Tunnell, Bobby Coltharp and Maxey. Drew Wray rounded out the Bulldogs’ scoring with his RBI single.
Wray, Smith and McCullough each had two hits in the win. Tyler Basil picked up the win, allowing two runs off four hits and seven strikeouts.
New Albany also picked up a win, 17-1 over Hickory Flat in the next game and will play in the Saltillo Tournament this week before the Union County Tournament this weekend. For the Hawks, they will have the week to prepare for the annual county tourney.
“I think it’s going to be a very balanced tournament this year,” Gordon said. “There’s a lot of experience returning for most of the teams and it should be a good tournament this year.”
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...