Myrtle unable to contain NAHS
New Albany had the hot bats against their county rival last Saturday, posting a 13-2 win over Myrtle in the Hawks’ tournament.
“We’re off to a really slow start,” Myrtle head coach Robert Gordon said. “Our pitching has not been very productive and our offense isn’t producing either. We’ve played big schools so far, but we haven’t had a strong pitching performance.”
Jimel Judon was on the mound for the Hawks and allowed seven runs off six hits in a little over three innings of work.
New Albany scored twice in the first before posting their first out, as Judon walked two batters to load the bases for Cody McCullough, whose single brought in Taylor Goode. A sacrifice flyout by Andrew Tunnell made it 3-0 for New Albany.
Corey Smith led off the third inning for the Bulldogs with a double, and two more hits from Riley Alef and McCullough made it 4-0. Mason Maxey brought in the last run of the inning off his single.
The Hawks would score two runs in the fourth after a single by Austin Floyd.
Smith sparked the Bulldogs in the bottom half of the fourth with his two-run home run, and the Hawks pitching staff would walk the next five runners, bringing in two more runs. A triple by Goode cleared the bases, bringing in Tunnell, Bobby Coltharp and Maxey. Drew Wray rounded out the Bulldogs’ scoring with his RBI single.
Wray, Smith and McCullough each had two hits in the win. Tyler Basil picked up the win, allowing two runs off four hits and seven strikeouts.
New Albany also picked up a win, 17-1 over Hickory Flat in the next game and will play in the Saltillo Tournament this week before the Union County Tournament this weekend. For the Hawks, they will have the week to prepare for the annual county tourney.
“I think it’s going to be a very balanced tournament this year,” Gordon said. “There’s a lot of experience returning for most of the teams and it should be a good tournament this year.”
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...