The annual effort to get our town and our county looking a little better by cleaning the place up takes place Saturday.
Called the Keep America Beautiful “Great American Cleanup,” this annual event puts a focus on everything from roadside litter to getting rid of stuff that is cluttering up private property in the city and county.
Volunteers and volunteer teams are needed to help from 9 a.m. to noon. To register a team, just call Vickie Duke, a coordinator for Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful, by Friday afternoon and select a neighborhood, park, street or any other site to clean up, beautify or improve.
All registered groups will receive complimentary trash bags for litter cleanups and the civic or non-profit group that collects the most trash will win $100. Hopefully, making the community a nicer place to live will be your motivation, though.
The clean-up campaign will be run out of the parking lot on Carter Avenue next to the Union County Library.
Separate recycling containers will be available for paper products, household appliances and law and gardening equipment (remove the fluids, please). Paint cans with tightly fitting lids also will be accepted.
We know lots of groups plan to be involved including the Boys and Girls Club, the New Albany Garden Club, the New Albany ROTC students, the sheriff’s department, the Boy Scouts and Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. In addition, programs have been underway at area schools this week.
You don’t have to be in a group, though. Just clean up your own property or the street in front of your home and drop the stuff off at the library parking lot Saturday morning.
Our city and county are only as attractive as we want to make them.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series