The annual effort to get our town and our county looking a little better by cleaning the place up takes place Saturday.
Called the Keep America Beautiful “Great American Cleanup,” this annual event puts a focus on everything from roadside litter to getting rid of stuff that is cluttering up private property in the city and county.
Volunteers and volunteer teams are needed to help from 9 a.m. to noon. To register a team, just call Vickie Duke, a coordinator for Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful, by Friday afternoon and select a neighborhood, park, street or any other site to clean up, beautify or improve.
All registered groups will receive complimentary trash bags for litter cleanups and the civic or non-profit group that collects the most trash will win $100. Hopefully, making the community a nicer place to live will be your motivation, though.
The clean-up campaign will be run out of the parking lot on Carter Avenue next to the Union County Library.
Separate recycling containers will be available for paper products, household appliances and law and gardening equipment (remove the fluids, please). Paint cans with tightly fitting lids also will be accepted.
We know lots of groups plan to be involved including the Boys and Girls Club, the New Albany Garden Club, the New Albany ROTC students, the sheriff’s department, the Boy Scouts and Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. In addition, programs have been underway at area schools this week.
You don’t have to be in a group, though. Just clean up your own property or the street in front of your home and drop the stuff off at the library parking lot Saturday morning.
Our city and county are only as attractive as we want to make them.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...