Four athletes to represent NA at state track meet
New Albany will be well represented in this weekend’s 4A State Track and Field championships in Jackson, as the Bulldogs will take four athletes for the two-day event.
Zach Hand, Tia Potts, Bobbie Rogers and Cameo Mabry qualified for state competition after last weekend’s North Half championship at Pontotoc. Hand took first place honors in the shot put with his mark of 46.6, while Potts finished second in shot put with a 34.6 score and third is the discus throw with a mark of 87.6.
Rogers will be competing in the 200 meter dash after her third place finish in Pontotoc, and Mabry rounds out the Bulldogs representation as he will compete in the 400 meter dash after qualifying with a second place north half finish.
“Overall I’m pleased with the effort of the team and proud of those who qualified for state,” NAHS track coach Rolandus Cox said. “They all did well on Saturday, and the ones that will continue have a good chance of winning a medal at state.”
Mabry and Rogers are making a return to state competition, as Mabry went as a sophomore in 2008, competing in the 4×1 and 4×2 races. Rogers is also making her second appearance, as she has previously finished seventh in the 200 meter dash.
Cox also credits the help of his coaching staff, Scott Duley and Les Huntington for their work this season.
“Coach Duley has played a big part in helping Zach and Tia, while Coach Huntington has worked primarily with the distance runners,” he said. “We’ve had a successful year with our distance runners and sprinters, with a couple just missing state qualifying.”
NAHS and Myrtle will compete at state this weekend.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...