La. merchant buys Union Grocery
A Louisiana-based food distributor announced Tuesday its recent acquisition of New Albany’s own Union Grocery.
Imperial Trading Company announced its plans for Union Grocery to serve as a Mississippi division of its operation and that it plans to maintain the New Albany warehouse, with the objective of increasing sales and expanding jobs.
“This is truly a great day for Imperial Trading Company,” said John Georges, Chief Executive Officer of Georges Enterprises, LLC, of which Imperial is an affiliate. “This is the next step in our continued growth and development.”
Greek immigrant C.H. Pelias founded Imperial Trading in 1916 as a wholesale grocer for independent retail grocers in New Orleans. Today, the company focuses on the convenience store segment of wholesale distribution. Imperial owns and operates a 150,000 square foot distribution center in the metropolitan area of New Orleans.
Union Grocery was founded in New Albany as a family-owned business in 1952. The wholesale grocer offered a variety of products, from candy to automotive products and served large supermarkets, as well as convenience stores.
According to Imperial Trading Company President Wayne Baquet, Jr., the acquisition of Union Grocery secures his company’s spot as the nation’s ninth larges convenience store wholesaler and one of the largest private companies in the area.
“We can now offer even more great products and services to our customers,” said Wayne Baquet, Jr., President of Imperial Trading Company. “With this acquisition, we are taking Imperial to the next level.”
Imperial Trading Company has $1 billion in sales and services over 3,000 retailers.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...