Buy local produce
Summer time brings with it an opportunity to buy local produce and we are fortunate to have an easy way to do that each week without having to drive around the county.
All we have to do is show up on Wednesdays or Saturdays at the Union County-New Albany Farmer’s Market.
On Saturdays throughout the summer, locally produced goods are available from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Court Street between Regions Bank and the Union County Courthouse.
On Wednesday mornings, the market operates during the same hours at the Union County Fairgrounds Arena.
“Everything will be locally grown in Union County and surrounding counties,” said Tim Burress, market manager. “There will be no resale stuff.”
Burress said a half dozen local growers actively participate in the market and he hopes to add more, as well as local producers of baked goods, jams and jellies.
All kinds of produce are available, including squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cabbage, sweet corn and green beans, he said.
Cut flowers also are available, Burress said..
The market is a project of the Mississippi State Extension Service and the Union County Master Gardeners.
The gardeners also will present demonstrations at the market beginning early next month.
It’s important to support our local Farmer’s Market and our local growers. They provide the freshest produce at reasonable prices.
See you at the market.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...