An important issue that could significantly improve the look of New Albany and its neighborhoods is about to come before the Board of Aldermen.
We’re referring to the proposal to establish minimum standards for rental housing. The proposal will be the subject of a public hearing at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.
The rental housing ordinance would give the city building inspector the authority to prevent rental units from being occupied if the minimum standards were not met.
The standards are minimal: water, a toilet, sink, bathtub or shower, heat and ventilation, electrical, protection from weather and the like. In other words, there the kind of things you and I would expect as a minimum in a place where we were going to live.
The proposal has been brought before the board by Alderman Scott Dunham, who, as a builder and a person who rehabilitates homes, knows what rental properties ought to be like. We commend him for raising the issue.
What is troubling is that a number of people have told us that some landlords in the community are going to oppose it. Frankly, we don’t understand how any community-minded person could be against it.
A drive through our neighborhoods shows immediately how important it is to adopt minimum standards for rentals. The failure to do so years ago has contributed to some areas becoming blighted.
We think the community should watch carefully to see who opposes this proposal and why. Would those who oppose it be willing to move their families into these rentals?
The City of New Albany faces a real decision about what kind of place we want to be and what kind of image we want to present. We have said before the city needs a very forceful clean-up, fix-up campaign.
Requiring rentals to be truly habitable is a start.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...