Some times communities get so enamored with recruiting new industries that they forget how important it is to nurture existing ones and help them grow.
Fortunately, local and state development officials have followed the right course in assisting Worthington Cylinders with an expansion of its New Albany plant.
Worthington Industries, an Ohio-based company, acquired Piper Metal of New Albany in June 2009 to expand its pressure-cylinder business into the medical market. The New Albany plant has about 165 employees.
Last month Worthington announced it has purchased the assets of Hy-Mark Cylinders, based in Hampton, Va., a company that makes aluminum cylinders for medical oxygen, scuba, beverage service, industrial, specialty and professional racing applications.
The company is relocating the equipment from Hy-Mark to its New Albany plant and will add about 80 jobs over the next five years, including 30 this year. The company expansion represents an $11 million investment. The official announcement will be at 3 p.m. Wednesday, July 7, at the plant.
To get these jobs and equipment in New Albany, the Mississippi Development Authority worked with the company and local officials to help with the expansion using Momentum Mississippi incentives. The state also agreed to provide workforce training assistance.
Worthington Cylinders is a good corporate citizen in our community and helping the company expand here was the right move. Good things happen when the state, Union County and the City of New Albany work together.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...