Health fair Saturday
One of the largest health fairs in Mississippi occurs this Saturday in New Albany.
It’s the Back-to-School Health Fair, conducted by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County with the support of lots of other groups. The fair is geared toward children from 4 to 12 years old.
A thousand people, including about 400 children, will show up from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the hospital for a free health check, dental check and a variety of other activities.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal is to catch health problems early, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
“And the best part is, it’s all free,” she said.
There will be lots of things for children to see and do. A helicopter, ambulance, fire truck and law enforcement vehicles will be on display. And activities include fingerprinting, rock climbing, seatbelt safety, tobacco education, face painting and inflatables.
“We’ll even have a teddy-clinic,” she said, so children may bring their bear or doll.
Each school-age child up to 12 years old will receive a backpack for participating in a short lesson about carrying backpacks safely, and free hot dogs and drinks will be provided, Kidd said.
This program, which has been going on 21 years, is part of Baptist Memorial Hospital’s strong commitment to our community.
And it’s all part of a responsible, non-profit hospital’s mission to improve community health. We congratulate Baptist for putting on this free event.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...