Health fair Saturday
One of the largest health fairs in Mississippi occurs this Saturday in New Albany.
It’s the Back-to-School Health Fair, conducted by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County with the support of lots of other groups. The fair is geared toward children from 4 to 12 years old.
A thousand people, including about 400 children, will show up from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the hospital for a free health check, dental check and a variety of other activities.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal is to catch health problems early, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
“And the best part is, it’s all free,” she said.
There will be lots of things for children to see and do. A helicopter, ambulance, fire truck and law enforcement vehicles will be on display. And activities include fingerprinting, rock climbing, seatbelt safety, tobacco education, face painting and inflatables.
“We’ll even have a teddy-clinic,” she said, so children may bring their bear or doll.
Each school-age child up to 12 years old will receive a backpack for participating in a short lesson about carrying backpacks safely, and free hot dogs and drinks will be provided, Kidd said.
This program, which has been going on 21 years, is part of Baptist Memorial Hospital’s strong commitment to our community.
And it’s all part of a responsible, non-profit hospital’s mission to improve community health. We congratulate Baptist for putting on this free event.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...