Liberal duck seasons again for Mississippi
The Mississippi Flyway Council voted to adopt the liberal regulatory alternative for duck seasons on July 24, 2010.
This means Mississippi waterfowl hunters will again have the opportunity to hunt 60 days with a 6-duck daily bag limit for the 2010-2011 waterfowl hunting season according to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP).
“One major change from last year’s framework is there will be a 2-bird limit on pintails this year,” said Ed Penny, MDWFP Waterfowl Program Coordinator. Canvasback populations increased again this year, allowing for another full 60-day season.
Scaup populations remained steady, and the scaup bag limit will again be 2 per day for the entire 60-day season.
Waterfowl hunting seasons are set through a process called “Adaptive Harvest Management.”
Through this process, waterfowl seasons have the potential to be either a liberal, moderate, or restrictive framework from one year to the next, based on the breeding population of mid-continent mallards and the number of ponds on the breeding grounds.
In the Mississippi Flyway, a liberal framework is 60 days long with a 6-duck limit, a moderate framework is 45 days long with a 6-duck bag limit, and a restrictive framework is 30 days long with a 3-duck bag limit.
The Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks will set the waterfowl season dates and bag limits within the allowable U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service frameworks during their August 17, 2010 meeting. Shortly after the season dates are set, the information will be posted atwww.mdwfp.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...