1A state champs receive their rings
Ingomar has enjoyed celebrating the school’s first basketball championship since 2002, and Wednesday was the pinnacle of the festivities with the team receiving their championship rings.
In a ceremony held at the school, Ingomar Principal Kenny Roberts along with Booster Club President Ricky McCollum presented the 1A champs their rings. Designed by Balfour, the silver rings have a sapphire with the number one in the middle, along with the team’s motto for last season, “Do you Believe.”
The help from the community in fundraising allowed for this moment to happen, as the booster club raised over $4,000, meaning that no member of the team had to purchase their own ring.
“I appreciate what everyone did to help these boys get their rings,” McCollum said during the ceremony. “This is something that they can keep forever and cherish.”
Mississippi’s all-time winningest coach had a little more work done with his, as all nine of Norris Ashley’s state championships are represented on one side of his ring. Ashley also took time to reminisce with the crowd about last season and the Falcons’ remarkable accomplishment.
“It’s great to honor them here today. They are a very special group in my mind, and I can’t think of many teams that can beat this group as far as character and hard work,” he said. “I was thinking on the way over here that this kind of wraps up what happened last year, and that’s the sad part.”
Ingomar graduated five seniors, including Matt Purvis and Zach Carnell. Ashley closed the ceremony by thanking last year’s team and closing this latest chapter of his coaching career.
“When these guys have children and grandchildren who ask them if they played basketball, they have something to show them,” he said. “This is a joyous day to honor these guys, and I appreciate being able to coach them because they have been a tribute to the Ingomar community. They’ve made me as proud as I could be.”
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...