1A state champs receive their rings
Ingomar has enjoyed celebrating the school’s first basketball championship since 2002, and Wednesday was the pinnacle of the festivities with the team receiving their championship rings.
In a ceremony held at the school, Ingomar Principal Kenny Roberts along with Booster Club President Ricky McCollum presented the 1A champs their rings. Designed by Balfour, the silver rings have a sapphire with the number one in the middle, along with the team’s motto for last season, “Do you Believe.”
The help from the community in fundraising allowed for this moment to happen, as the booster club raised over $4,000, meaning that no member of the team had to purchase their own ring.
“I appreciate what everyone did to help these boys get their rings,” McCollum said during the ceremony. “This is something that they can keep forever and cherish.”
Mississippi’s all-time winningest coach had a little more work done with his, as all nine of Norris Ashley’s state championships are represented on one side of his ring. Ashley also took time to reminisce with the crowd about last season and the Falcons’ remarkable accomplishment.
“It’s great to honor them here today. They are a very special group in my mind, and I can’t think of many teams that can beat this group as far as character and hard work,” he said. “I was thinking on the way over here that this kind of wraps up what happened last year, and that’s the sad part.”
Ingomar graduated five seniors, including Matt Purvis and Zach Carnell. Ashley closed the ceremony by thanking last year’s team and closing this latest chapter of his coaching career.
“When these guys have children and grandchildren who ask them if they played basketball, they have something to show them,” he said. “This is a joyous day to honor these guys, and I appreciate being able to coach them because they have been a tribute to the Ingomar community. They’ve made me as proud as I could be.”
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...