911 coordinator requests media bundle fee ordinance
Union County Emergency 911 Coordinator Mildred Churchill came before the Board of Supervisors Monday morning to suggest that a new ordinance be passed making it mandatory that every consumer that has a landline phone or pays for a media bundle has to pay the $1 fee to the county.
Churchill said, “The problem is with Voice-Over Internet Protocol. If you get this package, the consumer is not currently having to pay this $1 fee.”
Media bundles can be through cellular or landline phone companies, cable providers like Metrocast, or satellite providers like DirecTV or Dish Network. The media bundles normally package services like cable or satellite, phone, and internet to offer a lower rate to the consumer.
On July 1, 2010, Senate Bill 2938 was passed in the Mississippi Senate during the 2010 Regular Session. The bill states that this is an Emergency 911 law and include fees for VoIP and prepaid cell phones.
Mississippi Digital Daily.com said that Senate Bill 2938 imposes a new $1 tax on Internet-connected telephone lines and prepaid cell phones. The site also said that this is the same tax already levied on other telephone users to help fund 911 services.
According to the Mississippi Department of Revenue (DOR), “Senate Bill 2938 was passed during the 2010 Regular Session of the Mississippi Legislature and requires retailers of prepaid wireless telecommunication services to collect a $1.00 Prepaid Wireless E911 Charge.”
DOR explained that some examples of prepaid wireless telecommunication services are cellular phones that come preloaded with a set dollar amount or set number of minutes for use by the customer and cards the customer uses to reload their cellular phone with a set dollar amount or set number of minutes, according to the DOR.
Board President Danny Jordan said, “We will take a look at it and take it under advisement.”
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...