Getting things started
Hard to believe it’s already a new school year. As I’m writing this, it’s the first day of the school, and I’m looking at how my calendar is already filled up through September. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited, but like most of you, I’m trying to figure out what happened to summer vacation.
With the new year comes some changes to the sports section. For one, we are launching a new website on Monday that will have many different features (slideshows, videos, blogs, etc), and along with that, I am going to fulfill a request that was made last year: write my own column.
I haven’t had my own column since my days writing for the Chieftain at ICC, when I talked about random national sports headlines that seemed relevant at the time. All this to say that it’s going to take a little getting use to.
Over the last two summers, I’ve written about my experiences around the county and focused on many of you who have been gracious enough to speak with me for feature stories. Last week I finished my “One-on-one” series, and again, I thank all of the athletes who helped with that project.
My hope for this column is to throw in some light humor on different things I experience while out at games, which will probably include me mentioning more than once that I was in the marching band or an entire column dedicated to my love of Myrtle’s Fried Oreos. My intent is not to criticize any athletes, coaches or schools, ‘cause let’s face it, if I do that, I lose the very people I write about every week.
Along with the column, I am very excited to put my broadcasting degree to good use shooting video at games and events, so don’t be surprised if you see me running around with a video camera on top of everything else I do at games.
From time to time, I will probably direct you from the column to my blog, which can also be found on the Gazette’s new website. Also, if you’re looking for score updates, my Twitter account is still going strong at www.twitter.com/ezaremba1618.
Now for the name of the column. I unleashed a challenge to my loving friends on Twitter and Facebook last week to help me come up with a name. Shoutout to my boy Al Ling for his response, “View From the Cheap Seats,” which I find to be rather appropriate, although I really wanted to use “The Sports Bra” (there’s not enough room for me to explain this one).
So sit back, grab some Fried Oreos and get ready to view Union County sports from my perspective, you know, the cheap seats.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert