Getting things started
Hard to believe it’s already a new school year. As I’m writing this, it’s the first day of the school, and I’m looking at how my calendar is already filled up through September. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited, but like most of you, I’m trying to figure out what happened to summer vacation.
With the new year comes some changes to the sports section. For one, we are launching a new website on Monday that will have many different features (slideshows, videos, blogs, etc), and along with that, I am going to fulfill a request that was made last year: write my own column.
I haven’t had my own column since my days writing for the Chieftain at ICC, when I talked about random national sports headlines that seemed relevant at the time. All this to say that it’s going to take a little getting use to.
Over the last two summers, I’ve written about my experiences around the county and focused on many of you who have been gracious enough to speak with me for feature stories. Last week I finished my “One-on-one” series, and again, I thank all of the athletes who helped with that project.
My hope for this column is to throw in some light humor on different things I experience while out at games, which will probably include me mentioning more than once that I was in the marching band or an entire column dedicated to my love of Myrtle’s Fried Oreos. My intent is not to criticize any athletes, coaches or schools, ‘cause let’s face it, if I do that, I lose the very people I write about every week.
Along with the column, I am very excited to put my broadcasting degree to good use shooting video at games and events, so don’t be surprised if you see me running around with a video camera on top of everything else I do at games.
From time to time, I will probably direct you from the column to my blog, which can also be found on the Gazette’s new website. Also, if you’re looking for score updates, my Twitter account is still going strong at www.twitter.com/ezaremba1618.
Now for the name of the column. I unleashed a challenge to my loving friends on Twitter and Facebook last week to help me come up with a name. Shoutout to my boy Al Ling for his response, “View From the Cheap Seats,” which I find to be rather appropriate, although I really wanted to use “The Sports Bra” (there’s not enough room for me to explain this one).
So sit back, grab some Fried Oreos and get ready to view Union County sports from my perspective, you know, the cheap seats.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...